My Week in Comics: March 13, 2009

Holy shit. My previous Charice Pempengco post made my analytics go through the roof, making it the most viewed post ever in the history of Behold the Geek! I guess that's the power of the internet at work...though I feel awfully bad for the people who went to my site expecting more Charice pictures and articles and seeing instead poorly written dissertations on comic book collecting and semi-funny, out-of-context comic panels...

But I digress. It's time for the most verbose comic book reviews around! Let's see what got my baton twirling this week!

Okay, that didn't come out right.

NOTE: I will now be using the 5-score rating (with 5 being the highest), to reflect my maturing, more confident ability to review comics!


Captain Britain and the MI:13Captain Britain and the MI:13 #11...wow...just, wow.

I don't even know what to say about this...at the back of my mind I just know that nothing I will type will do justice to the sheer storytelling craft of this issue, which sees the aftermath of Dracula's first salvo against the United Kingdom. This is absolutely intelligent writing from Paul Cornell here, making no bones about just how fucked they are now that Dracula has declared war on the UK, and at the same time making you feel that our heroes (or what's left of them!) aren't going to take this sitting down. Honestly, I'm not exaggerating when I say that I've never felt respected by a comic book before, not pandering to gross exposition or fucked up logic but raising the bar and telling the story in the most realistic and awesome way possible.

This isn't the Mighty Avengers going, "OMG, What are we gonna do? Who's in charge? Are you in charge? OMG, it's the end of the world! Let's all sound alike! *Insert thought balloons here*" No, none of that shit. This is a group of superheroes with the capabilities, the resources, and the damn professionalism it takes to save the world. The moment Pete Wisdom has his shades handed to him, puts them on, and says "Council of war.", you just know the shit is definitely on. Suffice to say that heads will be exploding all over the world once issue 12 comes out.

Trust me when I say this, but this book is a literal Crowning Moment of Awesome highlight reel tha...you know what? I don't even know what else to say that this book can't say by itself, so I'll just go and give it a 6 out of 5. Yeah, you heard me. One point more than the highest rating, and I'll give it more but that would look stupid.

Buy this book NOW.


Invincible Iron ManInvincible Iron Man #11 gives us Pepper as Iron Potts, Maria Hill on a ninja mission to Futurepharm, a fight between War machine and Tony Stark, and a neat e-mail trick all your friends can try! Who says you can't learn from comics?

Matt Fraction may be just giving Tony something to do after Secret Invasion, but already he's been doing a whole damn lot. Lots of small but exciting moments from his supporting cast, but the real star here is Tony's violent dance with his former bodyguard and now one-man-army, War Machine. It's always a pleasure to see Iron Man in action, and the art team of Salvador Larocca and Frank D'Armata are giving the browns a much needed vacation to render this awesome fight the way it was intended. Repulsors flaring, rockets flying...Top Gun never looked this good.

A surprisingly well-written issue with some fun twists that's sure to get some feathers ruffled. Tony's been fighting ever since Secret Invasion, and if he's hoping for a breather anytime soon, next issue will have him disappointed...and us fanboys happy. It's a heavy metal 4 out of 5.


It's a surprisingly awesome week, right? If you think Captain Britain and the MI:13 is the shiznit, or you'd like to point out comics that are just as awesome, leave a comment in my dear old comment box and let's discuss! My Week in Comics is up every Friday. Thanks for reading!

Post a Comment

0 Comments