My Week in Comics: October 24, 2009

Okay, I admit, when I saw that there was a comic called Cowboy Ninja Viking coming out this week, the motor functions governing my hand automatically went and sent it to my pull list. There’s just something about awesome mashups that make my eyes roll into the back of my head. So does C.N.V. #1 deliver?

For the most part, yes. In the book, people called Triplets exist, highly-trained killers with multiple personality disorders. It’s all well and good until you find out that the personalities they have are coincidentally some of the most badass archetypes in history. A triplet might be a Pilot Surgeon Knight, for instance, and you’ll never know until he’s operating on your guts with a two-handed sword at 11,000 feet. The main character is a Triplet named Duncan, the titular Cowboy Ninja Viking, and all he wants is to be left alone. But a shady organization wants to use his skills to hunt down rogue Triplets, and he soon finds himself rushing headlong into a confrontation with one of the most dangerous of them all.

I think I’ve been spoiled by too many mash ups, because though C.N.V. provided an entertaining premise to start with, it suffers from not taking advantage of the possibilities of having someone with cowboys, ninjas and vikings in their heads. That, along with confusing layouts, dialogue and art that makes it hard to know who the hell is talking to who, makes C.N.V. an incomprehensible, confusing read.…though the thought of Duncan facing off with someone as kooky as a Pirate Gladiator Oceanographer next issue is making me geek out, even just a bit. This one gets 2.5 out of 5.


And now we come to Invincible Iron Man #19, one of the last issues to Matt Fraction’s Dark Reign magnum opus, World’s Most Wanted. Fraction’s been hitting his stride the whole storyline through which, if memory serves me right, happens only once in an indigo moon. In the ish, Pepper Potts, Black Widow and Maria Hill is about to punk H.A.M.M.E.R. so hard, and Norman Osborn finally catches up with Tony Stark!

Forget about whatever book you’re picking up for your Osborn fix, Fraction’s crazy homicidal asshole potrayal of Norman Osborn is total cash. I’m tired of seeing his smug face pretending to be a hero everywhere else…in Invincible Iron Man, Normy is megalomania personified, and it makes the fact that he’s about to get what’s coming to him that much sweeter. Also, Larocca and D’Armata are matching Fraction’s game, with amazing art and effects that bring the "action movie look" home.

I often get too spoilery in my reviews, but not here. I’m actually telling you to just pick up Invincible Iron Man #19 right now and see for yourself. Trust me, the last few pages are worth more than the 3.99 cover price. Shit, you should even reserve #20 while you’re at it, because by the last panel you’ve just got to know what’s gonna go down next. This is a solid 5 out of 5.


That’s it for my late Week in Comics. Agree? Disagree? Think Norman Osborn’s the sexy shiznay and got nobody to tell it to? The comment box below is your best friend. Leave me a note and let’s talk about it. Thanks for reading!

Post a Comment

0 Comments