My Week In Comics: July 19, 2008

It's a pretty light week in comics for me, which is good since I'm also operating under a pretty light salary. :) A bit bad too since now I only have a few new stuff to read. Well, this week it's really fewer, as I dealt with one awesome issue, a lukewarm one, and one that's completely...meh.

IRON MAN: DIRECTOR OF SHIELD #31

The second issue of IRON MAN's Knauf-less run, as we return to Maria Hill and S.H.I.E.L.D. up to their asses in trouble with a giant growing computer brain wanting to destroy everything, and while Iron Man is at the mercy of an upgraded Paladin, Dum-Dum Dugan unleashes what he thinks are the only people that can take on that giant death-machine...TIM DUGAN'S FLYING COMMANDOS!

Seriously, if he thinks a couple of guys in green suits with jetpacks packing Uzis can take on a giant fucking computer brain that can destroy enemy systems, then the Skrulls are seriously being overestimated by that thought alone.

Anyway, it's not without a few badass moments, as the aforementioned Paladin learns about Extremis the hard way, and Iron Man confronts the giant computer brain (it's stuck in my head now) like only he can. Unfortunately, we get a feeling that it's 'been there, done that' and writer Stuart Moore isn't pushing any envelopes so far. But then again, He's been here only since, what, issue 27? I can still cut him some slack, but at least the level of iron action here is satisfactory.

I say, to people picking this up, to continue doing so as Moore and co. are doing a fine job so far. And to the people who aren't picking this up, to give it a worthy try.

My Rating: 7.5/10 for the return of Adi Granov doing his absolutely stunning covers.


INCREDIBLE HERCULES # 119 (Secret Invasion Tie-In)


















The God Squad deals with a Skrull in their midst, and we get a god-to-god mega-brawl of mythical proportions as Herc and company face the wrath of the gods of 900+ dead civilizations!

Greg Pak continues to make me smile with his unique recap page, which makes you want to read it from cover to cover! Herc and Snowbird are shown contemplating what to do after their little horizontal dance, and its funny how Herc sounds like a whiny bitch ashamed of letting people know he scored. :) But all is not well in God land, as we see how Skrulls have infiltrated their number...and its the one you least expect.

I still can't believe Pak can generate this level of genius after his absolutely disappointing work in World War Hulk...it's like a different person writing this! But hey, the level of action never tapers off. That, and we got a shot of the Skrull queen looking smokin' hot. We got ourselves a winner.

My Rating: 8.5/10


MIGHTY AVENGERS #16 (Secret Invasion Tie-In)

















A done-in-one issue showing what led to the events of Elektra becoming, living, and eventually dying a Skrull. Elektra kicks Skrull ass like you won't believe. Not much dialogue, but its got a lot of Elektra action which everybody seems to like. Not me though, and I didn't want to shell out P150 for a 24 page, 5 minute read. But I did, so I'm paying for it.

I'm sorta bummed that one of my favorite series is reduced to a flashback rag. I can't wait for Secret Invasion to be over.

My Rating: 5/10


So what's the verdict? Well, one is god-ly good, one is bearable, and one went over my head faster than a shot from a jumpy, cross-eyed William Tell. I don't know what to make of it, but unless you're a completionist, I humbly suggest just going for the first two books reviewed.

Thanks for reading!

Post a Comment

0 Comments