50 Things I Love about Comics

Talk about late...but this is a nice challenge, and it's really great for people to see that there are TONS of stuff to love about comics. Here's mine...not necessarily in order, though I geek out easily so things at the top are a bit more awesome than the others. Let's go!

1. Keitaro and Naru in Love Hina. My vision of a perfect love story.
2. Heroclix!
3. "...Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman."
4. David Lapham's Stray Bullets, for being the first true indy and noir comic I have ever read. I still crave more of that to this day.
5. Sgt. Rock
6. "Why so serious?"
7. Frank F'n Cho (which I'm sure is how he says it)
8. Spider-Man's Iron Spider costume. Yeah I went there.
9. "I am OMAC. No city is closed to me!"
10. Nova as written by Abnett and Lanning
11. "No more Skrulls."
12. X-Man
13. Swimsuit specials
14. God bless you, Ed Benes.
15. "Joe Madureira finally finishes Final Fantasy XXXII. Gets to work on Battle Chasers #9" -- Wizard Magazine
16. Frank Frazetta
17. subsequently, all the crazy-ass facts I keep hearing about Frank Frazetta
18. Stan Lee, who is possibly immortal as long as comic books exist!
19. "Hulk STRAIGHT!"
20. Ultimate Hawkeye turning up the badassery to staggeringly dangerous levels.
21. Ultimates 1 and 2
22. Nodwick! I love the cute chick in glasses!
23. Free Comic Book Day!
24. Caliber? Really?! Caliber?! That's awesome...no! That's RADICAL!
25. The fact that we Filipinos have a rich history in comic books, and some of my fellow Filipinos are the most sought after in the comic book industry. Makes me proud to be one for once.
26. Comic Odyssey
27. Getting discounts at Comic Odyssey just for buying often
28. Waiting for the list of titles to ship on Thursday to appear on my inbox
29. Collecting fake 1992 Marvel Masterpieces cards
30. Forge with Quick-Draw Action!
31. "Snikt bub snikt snikt bub bub bub snikt"
32. J. Scott Campbell on Danger Girl. Man, those were the days.
33. Comic book toys
34. Comic book blogs
35. Comic book forums
36. "Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tells you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world - No, you move."
37. The talented Mike Wieringo (we'll miss ya, Mike)
38. Bill Sienkiewicz
39. Neil Gaiman's Sandman...just an awesome, awesome series
40. Greg and Tim Hildebrandt for making me think I could make it big painting. I appreciate the gesture. :)
41. "Oh God, now I'm ejecting things I haven't even eaten yet."
42. The hype surrounding World War Hulk. Just the hype, okay?
43. Mini-Marvels. Each blessed one of them.
44. The first X-Men Movie. You will believe a man can pop knives out of his knuckles.
45. "Who is this Superman? I defy him!" -- General Zod, Superman II
46. The Golden Age. My parents weren't even born then but I find it incredibly fascinating, and unintentionally hilarious.
47. Galactus!
48.Watching my comic book collection grow each month, to the point that I need a new long box!
49. The fact that I can answer pop quizzes on anything about comics that would have the book-wise scholar stumped.
50. Captain Marvel: Shazam, Shazam, Shazam!


Post a Comment

0 Comments