My Week in Comics: December 16, 2011

Don't you just hate hiatuses? Stupid real life interfering with my comics fun...but I digress. Let's jump start this blog again with the most verbose comics reviews around! This week, I'm reviewing two explosive endings to two great comics! What did I get myself into? Read on to find out!


Bonnie Lass #4 is a maelstrom of maritime insanity, which is my fancy way of saying it's crazy good. Last issue saw Bonnie and her crew being sucked into a watery vortex courtesy of a very large and very angry Leviathan. With the evil Ebb Tide group wanting a piece of the action, and a sea monster running amok, it's going to take a hell of a lot of luck to get out of this mess in one piece (no pun intended)!

The miniseries wraps things up splendidly, with an exciting action sequence involving tons of seawater and ammunition that would make Michael Bay proud. I love it when storylines end with a bang, and Bonnie Lass #4 did just that. It does get a little chaotic in some parts when you can't seem to follow the action well, but I guess that's what Michael Mayne and Tyler Fluharty meant to do. Mayne's art is his usual art nouveau-ish best, with a little sprinkling of anime-style goodness that I like. More books should look like this!

Bonnie Lass #4 is a one-two punch of great comic entertainment. I can't wait to see what Bonnie Lass will be up to next. This gets a 4 out of 5.


And now we come to Uncanny X-Force #18, the grand finale to the magnum opus that is Rick Remender's The Dark Angel Saga. Archangel is a few steps away from resetting evolution, and the only thing standing in their way is the new pairing of Fantomex and Psylocke!

They say all good things come to an end, but they never factored in just how good an end this one is. Remender went balls-out with this storyarc, showing us a ton of explosions, mangled body parts, heroic sacrifices and the undeniable power of love.

I say that because in the end, this is ultimately a story about the love of Psylocke and Archangel and the sacrifices one must make for the one you love. As mushy as it sounds, it lends a hopeful and very romantic undercurrent that tempers all the wanton carnage this book is known for. It's action-packed, but it's also a bittersweet love story. And when you see how Remender decides to end it all, I'd be shocked if you don't shed a tear. It's fitting that Jerome Opena and Esad Ribic, both regular series artists, team up to bring all this to life, and they match Remender's story with the same quality art they've been known for since this book started.

Uncanny X-Force #18 and the entire Dark Angel Saga will go down as one of the best and most memorable storylines in recent years, and you can quote me on that. This gets a 5 out of 5.


Two great comics, two great finales! That's a winning week, if you ask me! Speaking of which, let me know what you think about this week's comics by leaving me a comment below! Hope you enjoyed this review, and thanks for reading!

Post a Comment

0 Comments